Our agency is launching a search for an executive communications pro to lead and grow our speechwriting practice.
This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced speechwriter with a strong entrepreneurial bent and a solid background in client development/management who is hungry for a new challenge.
Below is the full job description.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please email a cover letter, your resume, and writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Director, Speechwriting Division
SUMMARY: Gotham Ghostwriters, the nation’s premier ghostwriting agency, is seeking an entrepreneurial executive communications pro to take over and scale up our speechwriting practice.
We are an advanced, new model start-up in an ideal market position. We operate in a high-demand field with little direct competition and an unbeatable asset — a network of more than 1900 book ghostwriters, speechwriters, white paper whizzes, and assorted content specialists. We have also built a great reputation for delivering high-quality content and service to a diverse range of elite clients (Fortune 100 brands, TED talkers, global advocates, etc.).
You are a dynamic relationship-builder and strategic thinker who can help us expand that brand, cultivate new sources of business, and take full advantage of our unique capacity to custom-match editorial talent with client need. This position is ideally suited for an experienced speechwriter who is already versed in client development/management and is eager for a new challenge with high reward potential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The managing director (MD) will work closely with the agency’s president to: raise awareness of our company in general and deepen our connections within the executive communications marketplace in particular; identify and close new business opportunities; and oversee the matchmaking process for new clients in their practice area.
More specifically, the MD will be responsible for:
• Formulating and overseeing long-term business development and marketing strategies
• Meeting with PR and strategic communications agencies, corporate communications teams, and other players in the executive communications and thought leadership fields who could be potential sources of business
• Representing the agency at relevant conferences and events
• Producing thought leadership content to showcase their expertise and enhance the agency’s visibility and standing in the field
• Negotiating terms and drafting contracts for clients they bring in
• Serving as the first point of contact for clients under contract
• Managing the assignment of writers to projects
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires substantial knowledge of the craft and business of speechwriting; strong people, pitching, and relationship-building skills; and a mix of initiative, creativity, and business savvy.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
• At least 5 to 10 years experience working as a professional speechwriter
• At least 3 to 5 years experience working at a communications agency or in some other client development/client management role
• A solid base network of relationships throughout the speechwriting and executive communications field
• A commitment to building a book of business
• Enthusiasm for working in a start-up environment
COMPENSATION: The MD will initially be paid through a combination of a modest base salary and commissions on all new business they generate, and then over time they will be eligible to receive a share of the agency’s overall profits. Health insurance provided.
APPLICATIONS: If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to: email@example.com