Chief Book Matchmaker
SUMMARY: Gotham Ghostwriters, the country’s premier ghostwriting agency, is seeking an entrepreneurial wordsmith with a strong background in book publishing to manage our stable of book ghosts and editors and oversee the assignment of projects for our clients.
We are a disruptive start-up now in full growth mode. We have built the largest network of freelance writing pros in the U.S. –- more than 2000 book ghostwriters, speechwriters, white paper whizzes, and other assorted specialists –- and are adding to that rich talent pool on a weekly basis. The depth and diversity of our network, along with our great reputation for delivering high-quality content and service, are attracting an expanding list of thought leadership clients (Fortune 100 brands, TED talkers, global advocates, etc.) and individual authors who need help telling and selling their stories.
You are a standout writer/editor who: 1) has honed their editorial skills at an established literary business; 2) has a keen interest in and facility with business, public affairs, and other idea-driven writing; and 3) is ready, willing, and able to help our agency meet our rising demand and reach our full potential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The CBM will be the chief quality control agent for Gotham’s core service offering and main selling point – our ability to deliver the right writer for a given book client’s needs. They will be in charge of maintaining the standards and expectations of our network of writers. And they will run the
matching process we go through to maximize the chances of a successful book collaboration.
More specifically, the CBM will be responsible for:
• Vetting and approving new writers who are seeking to join our network
• Recruiting writers who specialize in high-value fields and genres
• Conducting inventory taking sessions with new clients to assess their needs and priorities
• Screening and recommending candidates for specific book projects from our network – and occasionally outside it
• Contributing to the agency’s brand promotional efforts
• Suggesting specific clients and book packaging opportunities
QUALIFICATIONS: Strong writing and people skills, excellent judgment, and a keen eye for making strong connections are the top prerequisites for this position. In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
• A minimum of 5 years experience working in a related role at a book publisher, literary agency, or another publishing-related business
• Previous service as an assignment editor or manager of editorial talent and experience working with book ghostwriters and collaborators
• Creative ideas for expanding the firm’s brand awareness and reach
• A zest for working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with comparable jobs at a publishing start-up, as well as commissions for bringing in new business and bonuses tied to company performance. Health insurance provided.
APPLICATIONS: If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org