Job Opening: Communications/Marketing Manager
SUMMARY: Gotham Ghostwriters, the country’s premier agency for ghostwriting and related publishing and profile-building services, is looking for a communications/marketing manager to join in a key role on our small team, to build and manage the visibility, reach, and reputation of Gotham.
We are a disruptive start-up in full growth mode. We have built the largest network of freelance writing pros in the country—more than 2,000 book ghostwriters, speechwriters, white paper whizzes, book development pros, and other assorted specialists—and are adding to that rich talent pool on a weekly basis. The depth and diversity of our network, along with our sterling reputation for delivering high-quality content and service, are attracting an expanding list of authors and thought leadership clients (Fortune 100 brands, TED talkers, leading entrepreneurs, global advocates, etc.) who need help telling and selling their stories.
You are a nimble, confident communicator with a passion for building visibility, and are comfortable taking the reins on all traditional communications and marketing functions, while also being a creative writer and storyteller for Gotham’s content marketing and brand-profile development.
RESPONSIBILITIES: We are looking to hire someone who will do for Gotham what we do for our hundreds of clients: create powerful, insightful, high-value content, that expresses our brand, authority, and expertise in a way that invites sharing and leads to new client engagements. We want to attract a personality who revels in having a broad mandate, and who is excited about overseeing external communications, content and traditional marketing efforts, and working with the CEO and BizDev on managing our brand’s story.
More specifically, the Comms/Marketing Manager will be responsible for:
• Employing both content and traditional marketing practices to spread and share Gotham’s expertise and value proposition
• Working with CEO and BizDev to shape editorial approach, creative voice, and overall brand strategy
• Taking the lead in creating the overall content marketing strategy, social-media strategy, and traditional marketing strategy
• Creating and/or overseeing the creation of high-value content and thought leadership on the topics of publishing, book-writing, speechwriting, profile-building, executive leadership, and, yes, thought leadership
• Managing the day-to-day distribution of original content via our own website/blog, social media channels, content distribution channels, and partnership channels
• Creating content/distribution partnerships with aligned business partners and publishing partners; always be on the lookout for new high-value partnerships
• Managing all traditional communications tasks: write and distribute press releases; secure press coverage for Gotham news when appropriate; handle event ideation, promotion, and management, as led by CEO/Biz Dev; seek out high-profile speaking opportunities for Gotham management
• Working with CEO and BizDev to create sales presentations about each of our core practices (books, speechwriting, thought leadership, branded content,editorial services)
• Analyzing content performance in order to direct future content creation with the greatest impact
• Proposing, implementing, and tracking ROI of social marketing campaigns
• Seeking out and developing an external network of Gotham referrers
QUALIFICATIONS: Key for this position is smarts, passion, flexibility, relevant experience, and the desire to be the architect of a strong, engaging communications/marketing strategy for Gotham Ghostwriters at a time of rapid growth. Specific requirements are:
• 4-6 years’ experience in a communications and/or marketing role; experience in publishing strongly preferred
• 4-6 years’ experience creating content (aka “writing”)
• A solid portfolio of compelling content developed for a variety of channels and platforms
• A solid portfolio of marketing and comms materials produced by you
• Strong project management and prioritization skills; ability to operate independently once strategy is set
• Superior written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• A love of making connections and being in the mix, both to broadcast Gotham and to bring talent, ideas, and opportunity to Gotham; highly social personality a plus
• Impeccable attention to detail and a desire for consistency in all materials
• Excellent judgment for what types of content expose us to risk, and when to confer with management
• Strong appreciation for data-driven content and campaigns, and a knowledge of how to create SEO-driven content
• Ability to receive constructive criticism and edits, and then revise and refine your work
• Expertise in WordPress, Google Analytics, LinkedIn and Facebook Ads, and other relevant platforms
COMPENSATION: Salary commensurate with similar positions at small- to mid-sized companies. Health insurance provided. All the coffee you can drink.
APPLICATIONS: Please submit cover letter and resume, as well as 3 examples of your writing and 2 examples of your marketing/comms work, along with your anticipated salary range to: email@example.com