SUMMARY: Gotham Ghostwriters, the nation’s premier ghostwriting agency, is seeking an entrepreneurial publishing professional with strong industry connections to lead our nonfiction bookwriting practice.
Over the last two years our Bookwriting Group — the heart of our business — has gone through a major growth spurt. We have expanded our team and capabilities, added several new service offerings to the authors we work with, and substantially increased and diversified our client base.
To help us build on this expansion, we are looking for a dynamic, well-connected relationship-builder and manager who can help us expand our brand, cultivate new sources of clients, and take full advantage of our unique capacity to custom-match editorial talent with authorial need. This position is ideally suited for a literary agent or business-savvy editor who is already versed in the art of smart storytelling and eager for a new challenge with high-reward potential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Managing Director (MD) will work closely with the agency’s CEO to: raise awareness of our Bookwriting Group in general and deepen our relationships within the publishing industry in particular; identify and close new business opportunities; and oversee the matchmaking process for new clients in their practice area.
More specifically, the MD will be responsible for:
• Formulating and executing long-term business development and marketing strategies
• Meeting with literary agents and publicists, editors at major houses, and other publishing and communications professionals who could be potential sources of business
• Representing the agency at major industry conferences
• Organizing events to increase brand recognition
• Negotiating terms and drafting contracts for clients in their practice area
• Serving as the first point of contact for clients under contract
• Supervising the assignment of writers to projects
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires substantial knowledge of the publishing industry and the craft and business of writing; strong people, pitching, and relationship-building skills; and a mix of initiative, creativity, and business savvy.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
• 5 to 10 years experience working in a business/client-facing capacity at a literary agency, major publishing house, or a related business
• A wide network of connections within the publishing industry
• Excellent writing ability
• Enthusiasm for working in a start-up environment
COMPENSATION: Comparable to a literary agency — base salary plus commissions on all new business the MD is directly responsible for bringing into the firm, as well as bonuses tied to company performance. Health insurance provided.
APPLICATIONS: If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Register for our newsletter to be updated with the latest information regarding our services, offers, and much more.