Job Opening: Managing Director, Bookwriters Group
Our agency is looking for a publishing professional to lead and grow our book writing practice.
This position is ideally suited for a literary agent or entrepreneurial editor who is already versed in the art of smart content and eager for a new challenge with high-reward potential.
Below is the full job description.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please email a cover letter, your resume, and writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Director, Bookwriting Group
SUMMARY: Gotham Ghostwriters, the nation’s premier ghostwriting agency, is seeking an entrepreneurial publishing professional with strong industry connections to lead and scale up our growing bookwriting practice. This is a rare chance to capitalize on a sure thing -- or as close to it as you’ll get in today’s unsettled publishing world.
Our Bookwriters Group is operating in a booming market with no real competition and, best of all, an unbeatable asset: the peerless network of more than 500 accomplished ghostwriters and editors we have built since launching the division five years ago. The reputation we have developed for delivering reliably high-quality service to the diverse universe of authors we work with -– from top CEOs and tech experts to the next generation of thought leaders looking to make a name for themselves -- doesn’t hurt either.
Now we are looking for a dynamic, well-connected relationship-builder and manager who can help us expand our brand, cultivate new sources of business, and take full advantage of our unique capacity to custom-match editorial talent with authorial need. This position is ideally suited for a literary agent or entrepreneurial editor who is already versed in the art of smart content and eager for a new challenge with high-reward potential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Managing Director (MD) will work closely with the agency’s president to: raise awareness of our Bookwriters Group in general and deepen our relationships within the publishing industry in particular; identify and close new business opportunities; and oversee the matchmaking process for new clients in their practice area.
More specifically, the MD will be responsible for:
• Formulating and overseeing long-term business development and marketing strategies
• Meeting with literary agents and publicists, editors at major houses, and other publishing and communications professionals who could be potential sources of business
• Representing the agency at relevant conferences and events
• Producing thought leadership content to showcase their expertise and enhance the agency’s visibility and standing in the field
• Negotiating terms and drafting contracts for clients they bring in
• Serving as the first point of contact for clients under contract
• Managing the assignment of writers to projects
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires substantial knowledge of the publishing industry and the craft and business of writing; strong people, pitching, and relationship-building skills; and a mix of initiative, creativity, and business savvy.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
• 5 to 10 years experience working in a business/client-facing capacity at a literary agency, PR firm, or major publishing house
• A wide network of connections within the publishing industry
• Excellent writing ability
• Enthusiasm for working in a start-up environment
COMPENSATION: Comparable to a literary agency -- base salary plus commissions on all new business the MD is directly responsible for bringing into the firm, as well as bonuses tied to company performance. Health insurance provided.
APPLICATIONS: If you are interested in being considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to: email@example.com